Have reflux, difficulty breathing, chest pain, gas in chest. Taken inhaler, Malox and Benadryl. Have hypothyroidism

About 1 1/2 years ago I was having a lot if trouble with gas in my chest , chest pain , and a lot of dificulty breathing. I went to the hospital one time because the shortness of breath and pain was so bad I thought i was having a heart attach . They didnt find anything. My primary doctor referred me to a gastro doctor. He did a bunch of tests and couldn't find anything except some very minor reflux. He sent me to a pulmonary doctor who also did a bunch of tests and couldn't find anything and sent me back to the gastrologist. All of this took several months. He tried several different medicines and finally put me on dexilant. After a while it seamed to work. I have been on it since then .
Unfortunately all of the symptoms are back with a vengeance . Yesterday my breathing was extremely labored. My chest was killing me. The pulmonary doctor had given me an inhaler . I tried that, took some gas medicine, took some Malox, took some Benadryl ( not all at the same time) . Nothing made much difference . This morning I'm still burping and my chest is sore. It's like my left lung hurts, and I can't take a XXXXXXX breath without a lot of pain.
I'm a 49 year old woman 5'9" 173 lbs. . The only other health issue I have is hypothyroidism. About 6 weeks ago I had a bad upper respiratory infection. Help!

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 57 minutes later

Based on your history I suspect the problem is in the Gastrointestinal tract rather than in the lungs.This I say because if the problem was in the lungs you could have found some relief after the inhaler.Moreover a lung pathology do not go missed on tests as GI problems commonly do.

Its reflux oesophagitis which presents with pain in the upper abdomen or in the chest and breathlessness which mimic a heart attack.

The medications you were are on specific and should have helped.Surgery (fundoplication) is sometimes indicated in patients with severe pain who fail to respond to medical management.

Hence, I would suggest you to go for an OGD (Oesophagogastrodeodenoscopy)scopy to confirm the diagnosis and proceed further for the management.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.