Have red ulcers and cracks on tongue. Diagnosed with lupus, put Neosprin. Suggest?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have red ulcers & cracks on my tongue. These are very tender & sometimes they bleed. I have been diagnosed with Lupus, I have put Neosporin w/pain relief on my tongue & it seems to helping. Is this ok?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I shall try to help you out with your concern

I have understood your problem and let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about

Some amount of cracking and fussuring of tongue is normal even if it bleed and since you have lupus, it is more common in the said condition.
You are on the right track when you took the ointment for relief but these are a few things which you may consider:

1. I Would in all my patients also start a course of anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole along with the anti reflux instructions. Your doctor will know about these.

2. You must avoid anything spicy or oily

3. You must take a diet comprising of green leafy vegetables and take only healthy food

4. if you are not on any multivitamin with zinc then you must consult your doctor and take one regularly

5. You must continue your treatment of lupus regularly and also keep your weight under check

6. If after a week or two you are not feeling better then you must take a full blood profile along with an Endoscopy of the upper GI tract and get back to me or any ENT with the reports

7. do not attempt to meddle or touch the fissures or ulcers

8. Before taking any strong medication like antibiotic or even a painkiller you must consult your doctor

9. Get a dental consultation to rule out any teeth related injury or strain

take care and get well soon

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to clear anymore doubts that you may have

Dr Sriram Nathan