Have red swollen bruised feeling lumps on thigh. Painful and warm to touch. What are they?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have red swollen bruised feeling lumps on my outer thigh but I haven't injured myself there are 3 ov them at the moment but looks like 2 more may be starting could anyone tell me what they are they are also painful to touch and feel warm to the touch
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Development of large purple bruises on your thigh spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder.
It can be due to many causes such as
- Platelet disorders of counts like thrombocytopenia,
- Disorders of function like Glanzman syndrome where platelets are lazy i.e. normal in number but slow to clumping and degranulation.
- Deranged Prothrombin time (PT) /activated Partial Thromboplastin time (aPTT) secondary to many causes including iatrogenic cause by taking warfarin for cardiac arrhythmias
- And lax and fragile skin due to reduced connective tissue supportive parenchyma as a result of treatment with steroids.

So I believe getting your blood counts, coagulation profile along with Capillary fragility test can be helpful to detect bleeding tendency.

Discuss about these possibilities with your physician and he/she can stream line these test for you. You also may be put on Vitamin C and Vitamin A supplement to improve skin texture and reduce easy bruising.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have red swollen bruised feeling lumps on thigh. Painful and warm to touch. What are they? 15 hours later
They aren't actual bruises, they are red large raised lumps painful to the touch, they appear and then disapears within a day or two. I get them quite regular. Today the redness has gone but the painful lumps are still there. I have allergies but haven't found out what they are just yet and thought that maybe it could be related to this, I also sometimes get them on my arms they are quite large, about 3-4 inches and solid to the touch
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It seems that you are having allergic rashes on various parts of your body. Getting tested for various allergens will help in detecting the triggering factor. Meanwhile you can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointemnt and calamine lotion in the area for relief.
Taking an oral anti allergic like benadryl will also help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.