Ask a Urologist   »  

Have red spots on penis head. Diagnosed with psoriasis. What can I do to get rid of them?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have 3 red spots on the head of my penis and they have a scaly like crust layer on the top. They have a faint foul smell, they do not hurt and do not itch. I have had these spot for 3 years and they do not go away. About 3 years ago, my doctor took a quick look (no blood work or test) and said they were herpes and prescribed me Valtrax, which did nothing for the spots. I also have 2 similar spots on my upper arm, and showed them (not the ones on my penis) to another doctor and he said it was psoriasis and prescribed me Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment, which did improve the spots on both my arm and penis, but they never completely went away, and as soon as I stopped the ointment, they immediately returned. What does this sound like to you and what can I do to get rid of them? Also, my wife has frequent yeast infections, could this be because of me, or could my issue be a result of her. Her OB/GYN says she just has high levels of bacteria in her vagina and that she is just going to have frequent infections.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
From the pictures thatyou have sent the condition appears to be called circinate balanitis. This can be cause either by viral or fungal infections.
I would suggest the following
1. Topical application of antifungal creams like candid ointment after cleaning the penis with medicated soaps.
2. A course of antibiotics including floxacins and tetracyclines.
It the response is subopitmal then a smear study of the fluid from the lesions for herpes infection. If that is positive then acyclovir tablets and topical ointment is required.
Barrier protection during intercourse with your wife till her problem gets resolved.
Since this is a recurring problem check for diabetes in both of you.
I hope this provides a guideline for further care.
with regards