Have red spots all over tongue and cheek, lumps on back. What is wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have red spots all over tongue. Lumps on back pf tungue. Asp have XXXXXXX red spot on roof of mouth.
And spots on cheek that appear to be dead skin. What is wrong?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Since when are you having these problems ?

Do you have fever, ulcers in mouth, sore throat, cough, recent weight loss ?

Any swellings in the neck ?

Are you having 'dead skin' inside the mouth or outside on the cheeks ?

There could be many causes of this clinical picture ranging from infection, inflammation due to smoke, blood problems like neutropenia, immunodeficiency disorders, pharyngitis, drug reaction, allergy etc.

If associated with fever, sore throat, difficulty or pain on swallowing along with cough goes in favor of pharyngitis due to upper respiratory infection and irritation by smoke.

Kindly avoid hard or hot food or fluids. Drink enough water. Avoid smoking, alcohol as well.

It would be be best to consult with your ENT Doctor for a complete checkup and some tests as necessary to make right diagnosis and treatment.

For respiratory infection, usually antibiotic may be prescribed. Steam inhalation also gives relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.