Have red spot on arm. Bleeds after scratching. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have a red spot on my arm that was not there before. It appeared after I scratched it and it bled. I don't know what this could be. I irritated it more today by picking at it.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
How long exactly has this red spot on your arm been around?
Is it possible to upload a clear digital photo of the same onto this site?
From your initial description & given your age et al, i would say it is what we would commonly allude to as a 'cherry angioma' which is absolutely benign & nothing to worry about especially if it is a single or few lesions.
Please avoid scratching it & use a topical zinc oxide preparation to calm the area & avoid scratching it.
Good luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Have red spot on arm. Bleeds after scratching. What could this be? 26 minutes later
It just appeared on Thursday and I should have left it alone but I aggravated it today.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 14 hours later
If it is not long-standing, absolutely nothing to worry about. Cheers! Just go with the cream suggested overleaf & give it the royal ignore. Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Have red spot on arm. Bleeds after scratching. What could this be? 6 hours later
I appreciate your insight with this. Will it totally disappear or will it remain there. It has a tiny raise on it but hasn't grown and I left it completely alone and it looks much better today

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Your most welcome. Am truly happy you are feeling better in 24 hrs! Do continue to leave it alone if it is asymptomatic. I cannot honestly answer whether it will totally disappear or remain there but give it a week & re-assess. If it still persists at that point, a visit to a dermatologist/cosmetologist to get it removed may be the solution then. It should resolve by then. Cheers & do close this query if done & give us a healthy review if time permits. Godspeed.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD