Have red spot near mouth. Get red spots frequently. Sweat a lot in gym. Contribute to these spots?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a red spot near my mouth. It has a hair in the middle of it that seems to be the center of the irritation.

There was no blister present. I do not have HSV1 and have been recently tested for such. I'm confident this is not a cold sore. However, the location and look of this spot is embarrassing as it resembles one at a glance.

I seem to be getting these little red spots frequently. I'm outdoors a lot more than I used to and have been sweating in the gym a lot more than I used to. Could this contribute?

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

No,it doesnt look like herpes or cold sore. This is probably foliculitis, it means an inflammated hair follicle or this is cloged and inflammated sebaceous gland. This is nothing to be concerned about untill there is no pus, pain,swelling or growing of this spot. It should subside spontaneously and no treatment is necessary at this point. If this progress in size then antibiotic treatment by topical creams or systemic drugs should be started.
SOme people have more sensitive skin and are more vulnerable for skin infections especially those with oily skin and larger pores. Exscessive sweating is definitely one of the risk factors for it. Also, usually there is microinjury during shaving where infection then can occur. SO use more gentle razors or electric razors and apply antiseptic aftershave. And dont scratch or lick this area,this can provoke and facilitate infection.
Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Have red spot near mouth. Get red spots frequently. Sweat a lot in gym. Contribute to these spots? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor. Thank you for your great information. I have attached a much higher quality photo for further clarification. Does the diagnosis remain the same? You can see the hair on the far right side in the picture of the bump. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 hours later
Yes, it remains the same. It can be alo some insect bite,but I think this is folliculitis. As I can see you have expressed Fordyce spots arount the mouth and it indicates larger pores which can facilitate hair follicle inflammation.
YOu should just follow my recommendations. YOu can ask pharmacist for some protective creams for your type of skin,but all in all this is nothing to worry about. Regards