Have red rings on upper arm. No itching or burning. Cure?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, yesterday I discovered 2 perfectly symmetrical red rings on my skin. One on each upperarm close to my schouders on the same place. So even the placement is symmetrical! At first I thought they might have been caused by clothing, but I haven't worn anything that could cause these marks.
They do not itch or burn and do not veel raised to the skin. I tried to upload a picture, but the upload seems to take forever.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the description provided, it could be fungal infection , granuloma annulare, annular psoriasis, pityriasis rosea, erythema annulare centrifugum, urticaria etc.
The diagnosis can only be confirmed by seeing the lesions.
If having problem in uploading the image, you may email a clear image of both the lesions to YYYY@YYYY and mention ATTN Dr KAlpana Pathak in subject line.
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Have red rings on upper arm. No itching or burning. Cure? 7 hours later
Dear dr. I sent an image through email I hope it'll help
Kind regards, XXXX
Follow-up: Have red rings on upper arm. No itching or burning. Cure? 11 minutes later
Dear Dr. Pathak,

Thank you for your response. I have attached 2 pictures one of each lesion.
As you can see the placement of the 'rings' on both arms is very symmetrical.
Which is why at first I thought it was thee result of something physically pressing and leaving a XXXXXXX on my skin.
But as I said in my previous message. I did not wear anything to account for the lesions.
The one on the right arm/shoulder is slightly darker.
I hope the images help.

Kind Regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 28 hours later
Hi XXXX,
Firstly please accept my apologies for the delayed response. I had some problems in accessing the images attached and hence the delay. I just saw the images but unfortunately the pics attached are quite small in size and on enlarging the same, the concerned lesion gets magnified and distorted. However from what I could make out, ringworm seems to be a plausible cause. I would like to know
If the lesions appeared abruptly
If the lesions are waxing and waning
if the lesions are scaly- if yes scale covers the whole lesion or present only at edges
If lesions non itchy or itchy
if lesions flat to skin surface or raised beyond it.
Answer these queries and if possible please attach better resolution and good size pics.

If it is a fungal infection application of clotrimazole or terbinafine cream would help.

Follow-up: Have red rings on upper arm. No itching or burning. Cure? 20 hours later
Hello Dr. Pathak,

I'm sorry for the small images. They must have been unintentionally resized during the processing of the e-mail. The lesions are dissipating. Only the first and most visible one on the right arm is slightly visible. The other one is almost invisible. Here the answer to your questions:
If the lesions appeared abruptly - yes they apperead XXXXXXX abruptly.
If the lesions are waxing and waning - they are waning and ar almost gone now.
if the lesions are scaly- if yes scale covers the whole lesion or present only at edges - no, they are not scaly at all.
If lesions non itchy or itchy - no I never felt them. I only knew they were there because I could see them.
if lesions flat to skin surface or raised beyond it. - they were completely flat.
I will resend the pictures I took by email, because the originals are clear and of a good resolution. I will take extra care for them not to be resized during the process.

Thank you for your response.
Kind regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
Hi XXXX,
Lesions occuring abruptly and waning in a short course of time since onset points towards allergic/ urticarial nature of rashes. Simple application of calamine lotion mixed with a mild steroid cream along with intake of oral antihistamine should help these resolve fast.
Sometimes urticarial rashes or insect bite induced rashes or rashes due to an particular food may just present with redness without any itch.
Hope that answered your query.
Wish you speedy recovery.