Have red raised dots on abdomen. What could be these?

last night i noticed about 5 red raised dots on both sides or my torso then tonight i have about 10 on my abdomen. They dont itch and they dont have a head on them. Can you gie me any ideas on what it might be?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 17 minutes later

I understand your concern and hope I am able to help you in the same.

Now from the description that you have provided, it looks like you have developed some type of either folliculitis or an allergic reaction.

But before coming to the diagnosis, I would like to have a look at the skin rash that you are having.
It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin rash and upload them here on this page. You can also email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “attention to Dr. Geetika Paul”.

Also it would be great if you can provide me with few more details about the skin rash.
Is there any associated fever?
Are the lesions painful?
Any similar lesions in the past?
Are they solid lesions or fluid filled?
Any history of oil application over body?

I would surely be of more help to you if you can provide me the above details and send me a close up picture of the same.

Waiting for your response and the pictures,

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have red raised dots on abdomen. What could be these? 20 minutes later
I have emailed photos. No to all your question except a couple of the dot have what looks like fluid but not all of them.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later

I have had a close look at the images that you have sent. I am afraid you seem to have developed lesions of chicken pox(varicella).
This usually starts with lesions over the trunk which start as solid raised lesions and later turn into fluid filled lesions.

Now as far as the treatment of the same is concerned, most dermatologist start the patient on a course of antivirals like acyclovir as soon as the diagnosis is confirmed.
The drug has to be started within 24 to 48 hours of the appearance of the first lesion in order to be most effective.

I would suggest that you see a dermatologist or a general physician as soon as possible so that treatment can be started as soon as possible.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Geetika Paul.