Have red raised bumps on upper arms. Tried benadryl, clindamycin and lidocaine gel. What to do?

Dermatologist
Question
I have red raised bumps appearing only on my upper arms. Have tried benadryl and clindamycin and lidocaine gel. Slightly itchy like not all soap washed off after shower. 3 on L arm and 6 on right. R not as raised as L. Just less than a week old. No chance for bedbugs. Use same soap. Just changed sheets p first sx appeared. No tunnles, no puss or blister. No crusting. Largest About 3ish mm round. I have short sleve shirts and nightgowns. Dog has always slept with me. No pattern to the bumps.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Opinion on red raised bumps

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic,
As dermatology is mainly a visual field of medicine, I would like to see the lesions.
You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.
Waiting to see a photograph.

Follow-up: Have red raised bumps on upper arms. Tried benadryl, clindamycin and lidocaine gel. What to do? 1 hour later
I have no idea how to do a photo on line. My cell phone is kinda old. It is not a smart phone. The 3 on L arm are very red and the ones on R arm are pink and smaller than the L. Some are lightening up but yesterday I got one on my L arm that is red and 1 on R arm that is pink. They are a perfect round slightly raised spots (sores). Raised more on L arm than R. Nothing on tops like scabs except the 2 I scrached.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Opinion

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
Thanks for the detailed description. From the description and the distribution of the rash , which is over the exposed areas, it looks like insect bite allergy ( Papular urticria). I cannot say which insect, that you need to help me out. But I will strongly suspect fleas or mites from your dog.
You may apply insect repellent cream over exposed areas to avoid further bites. I recommend you not to sleep with dog for a week or so and observe if new lesions are still occuring.
For the itching you may take an antihistamine like benadryl.
Hope this helped

Follow-up: Have red raised bumps on upper arms. Tried benadryl, clindamycin and lidocaine gel. What to do? 7 hours later
Ok, this morning I awoke to a large rosey red rash, smooth and itchy, with iirregular boarders the right being the pinkist, 4x4 in wide and long mid upper arm below the red spots. The Left is a bit lighter 5x7 inches. Both are itchy. Dog treated for fleas, ticks and misquitoes. No signs of itching or mange on her. The dog is leashed walked and only goes beside the sidewalk No where else has any spots or redness aappeared. I wear knee length nightgows most of the day. Nothing on my legs at all or my exposed lower arms. I wear short sleeved nightgowns when I am home. The spots are just barely lighter in appearance. I have been taking benadryl for the past 2 dayyys, along with topical clyndamycin and lidocaine oiintment. My sheets werr washed 3 time before putting them on the bed to try to get the flannel to spften up. Extra rinse on the last one. This is the 3rd day on these sheets. I wash on warm. High on dryern. I am so perplexed why this would onl been my upper arms.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Opinion

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
The rash you develop , you notice in the mornings. So the trigger is at night when you are sleeping. It is most likely an insect bite allergy. To what insect I cannot say. Why only arms ? Because it is exposed and more juicy to bite. If the trigger is XXXXXXX like any food it should cause a generalized rash.
Benadryl will help in reducing itching, even lidocaine will help reduce sensation. Topical clindamycin will help only if there is cuts due to scatching or boils.
But these are symptomatic treatment. We should find out the cause of the bites and avoid them. Bed bugs is a possibility, wonder why you said no chance. They come out only at night.
Hope this helped,