Have red, itchy raised scabby like rash at back which feels to be lying on nerve. Had shingles

I have several places on my back that came out the same time. They seemed to have litle scabby raised places on top. a little like brushes feeling.. I could scratch them off easily. Now I have red places that are itching and burning deep inside my back as if they are laying on a nerve. I had shingles several years ago. However, these sometimes have little hard tiny like a bee bee in the center. If I go deep enough I can get them out and they feel better but just can't get them to heal. The redness, the itchy pain is really bad at night and heat or sun makes them itch more.. they scab over but do not leave. Really hurt.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
more information needed, calamine lotion applicatn

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be miliaria , , acneform eruption drug rashes etc.
Also I would like to know -
Is there any history of fever ? Other symptoms?
Are the lesions limited to one side of the back or generalised ?
Is any other person in family having similar complaints?
Can you upload the photos of affected areas?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition with confidence.
Answer the questions above and upload the images.
We can continue the discussion here.
For such patients visiting my clinic , I would advise cooling and soothing lotion like calamine lotion or aloe vera lotion application twice daily. Also an antihistamine tablet like tab. Cetirizine once a day can be advised.
Hope this helps
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatology

Follow-up: Have red, itchy raised scabby like rash at back which feels to be lying on nerve. Had shingles 13 hours later
sorry I took so long. I never could get my password to work. Any, The rash is limited to my left side. I had shingles there in 2005. Do have post hepatic neuralgia there. No one in our family has this. My back gets extremely red and warm there. I have had fever and they gave me another dose for shingles. It is still coming back tho. The dermatologist is puzzled and I have had them frozen off several times. Always the same place. I can feel them erupt from under the skin and they sting terribly as they are coming out. I will send a photo soon as my husband gets home to take it.

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upload images,discuss the treatment options

Detailed Answer:
Hi again Britt,

Thanks for the details.

I still cannot find photos uploaded by you.Photo can be more informative.
The condition can be a part of post herpetic neuralgia.A recurrence of shingles is also a possibility.
Post herpetic neuralgia can cause pain ,abnormal sensation, burning over the site for years after episode of shingles.It can be a troublesome condition bothering patients .It may even cause psychological problems and loss of sleep.

In my clinic patients of post herpetic neuralgia are treated by tramadol like analgesics,antidepressants(amitryptyline ),lignocaine patches,gabapentin ,pregabalin.Also few procedures like cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen ,Transcutaneous electrical stimulation , intra lesional injections help in patients.

You can discuss these option with your dermatologist.
If you need any further clarification I will be available for follow up.