Have red itchy bumps on thigh. What is the underlying cause?

I have terribly itchy red bumps on my thighs... I shave everyday, and have since I started competitive swimming this school year. I was fine for months, and now this happens. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

These small bumps can be due to folliculitis which is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other noninfectious skin conditions.

For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams.

It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective. If the symptoms persist then you may need oral antibiotics. For the same augmentin can be taken which is available under prescription.

It is to be taken as 500 mg tablets twice daily for 3-5 days. Also apply warm compresses after shaving and keep the area clean. Other treatment options include shaving in a different direction, tweezing, exfoliating with facial scrubs, sponges, towels etc. You can also apply calamine lotion on the rash.It will help in soothing the skin.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.