Have red eyes, worse in cold weather. Is it due to fatigue, stress or some other reason?

I've had a red eye on an off for about 12 months. It usually goes red on the outer left pupil of the left eye and sometimes spreads. It happens when I'm stressed or lack of sleep and goes after about 2 weeks. It's embarrassing because people say I always look tired. Cold weather seems to make it worse. I had my eyes tested 6 moths ago and they were fine. The opticians stated that the eye is probably caused by fatigue and stress. I've seen the doctor who gave me some drops which makes it worse. I've googled it and am getting worried. I'm 46 year old male, fit and quite active.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 56 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Red eyes has multiple causes. Most of them which are either infective or allergic involves both eyes. Unilateral red eye is probably caused by stress or lack of sleep. Your ophthalmologist is correct regarding diagnosis.
Still I will suggest please revisit you ophthalmologist for checking of vision. Sometimes a unilateral spectacle may be associated with this symptoms. Don't use any drop prescribed other than ophthalmologist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Have red eyes, worse in cold weather. Is it due to fatigue, stress or some other reason? 11 minutes later
Thanks. My eyes have already been checked with. 20 20 vision. Sometimes my right eye flares up but usually it's the left. It looks like the veins have burst which generally happens at work. I work shifts and just about to go on nights. I will see a ophthalmologist soon which is probably different to a optician. Since last night a style has developed over the left eye which I felt lurking during a game of golf yesterday when it was windy and cold.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 10 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
If you are working in shift then it is one of the cause for stress and eye fatigue. One more reason is dandruff in eyelid which is very minor but may cause redness of eye. Stye may be caused by such dandruff known blepharitis.
Optician is not a doctor. Please consult board certified ophthalmologist only.

Hope I have answered your query.