Have red circles on groin area, upper thighs, buttocks and lower wrists. Could it be pityriasis rosea?

Have red circles (not always circular) groin area, upper thighs, buttocks and now looks like on my lower wrists. They start small and grow, some are connecting to the others. My physician told me it wasPityriass Rosea, but the pictures don't match. What else could it be. They don't cause pain nor do they itch.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The circular red patches on your body can be due to ring worm if it is not pityriasis rosea.
They are normally seen as round or oval red scaly patches with pink scaly borders, often less red and scaly in the middle or healed in the middle. The lesion tends to heal centrally and sometimes one ring arises inside another older ring. In acute cases the rash is itchy.
Ringworm is very contagious and it can spread by touching an affected person or animals like cats and dogs.The best thing is to keep yourself clean by washing the hands and face when you go public places and play with stray cats and dogs.Sharing towels, clothing and other personal things with others is not a good idea.
A physical examination of the affected skin, evaluation of skin scrapings under the microscope, and culture tests can help doctors make the appropriate distinctions
You can apply over-the-counter antifungal or drying powders, lotions, or creams,those which contain miconazole, clotrimazole, or similar ingredients are often effective.
Wash sheets and nightclothes every day while infected.
A severe or persistent infection may require treatment by a doctor.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have red circles on groin area, upper thighs, buttocks and lower wrists. Could it be pityriasis rosea? 2 hours later
Should I see the physician again, as more are appearing daily, and they seem to grow in size. How long will over the counter treatment take to cure
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can use over the counter treatment for a week- in case the lesions do not regress then consulting a physician will be appropriate for stronger prescription medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.