Have red cheek and swollen nose. What could this be?

General Surgeon
My left cheek is red and there is a slight swelling by my nose on the left as well. I am wondering what this could be.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It is very hard to give exact answer not seeing it, however I will try to help you.
Such swelling can appear due to superficial infection (skin infection) or due to deeper tissues infection (tooth infection, salivary gland inflammation, nasolacrimal sac inflammation etc.). If there is a pain in this area, or during chewing, moving your jaw, swallowing or blinking, some of mentioned tissues inflammation is the reason. You should check your neck and behind the ears area for enlarged lymph nodes.
If pain, enlarged lymph nodes or fever is present, antibiotic seems necessary (Clindamicine). If so, you should visit your doctor for the prescription.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.