Have red bumps with white head on penis. No pain or itching. Could this be herpes, warts or pimple?

I had a whitehead on the shaft of my penis that turned into a little red bump after a day or two. I don't remember seeing any discharge. It has appeared the same now for almost a week. When I touch it it almost doesn't even feel like it is there. It doesn't hurt or itch, although it kinda itched for a bit when it first formed. I will add that I had been using a lemon and vitamin E oil as a lubricant during sex a few times during the week before this white head and then bump appeared. That's why I though it may be a pimple, but I'm not sure. Do you know what it is? Herpes? Warts? Pimple? Thanks
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 49 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

By the description and the images, it appears as a "pimple" or comedon in the shaft; like in many other regions of the body, your skin pores can get "clogged" and an inflammatory reaction can happen. This could be related to the use of oleous lubricants such as Vitamin E. It does not appear to be a wart or condyloma; herpes sores are usually symptomatic in terms of pain, tingling or itching, and the main key is that there are vesicles resembling "dew drops over a XXXXXXX petal"

I would suggest using water-based lubricants for intercourse instead.

Hope this helps with your query.

Dr Brenes-Salazar

Mayo Clinic Rochester MN
Follow-up: Have red bumps with white head on penis. No pain or itching. Could this be herpes, warts or pimple? 6 hours later
Thank you for your answer.

Is it normal to still have a visible red bump a week after the white head disappeared?

I figured with the amount of blood flow down there and the thin skin that if it is a pimple that it would heal faster than a normal pimple located on the face would.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
It can take a little while to heal completely; but should not take more than a couple of weeks to completely resolve if no aggravating factors continue

Best regards,

Dr. Brenes-salazar