Have red bumps on groin area. Not cured by antihistamine and bedaderm. Cause and cure?

I have red lumps or bumps on the groin, scrotum, backside,taint area. These resemble mosquito bites and do not have any discharge. These are itchy and keep my up at night. I have seen two separate doctors for has given me antihistamine, bedaderm. the other lac hydrin. Neither seem to be working. These are not painful not do i have an STI
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The fact that the lesions are itchy and confined to the genitalia and backside area imply that it may be a dermatitis and particularly related to something coming in contact with that area for example your underwear or pants or any cream or lotion that you may have changed.
Any change in the detergent or soap used may also be relevant.

Treatment involves (1)eliminating the trigger- something coming into contact here is resulting in this rash
(2) the betaderm is a steroid cream , if this is not useful then a stronger steroid cream should be used, twice daily for 7 days. Steroid creams of this strength would require prescription from your doctor.
(3) an oral antihistamine would decrease the inflammatory response and the itching. There are drowsy and non drowsy antihistamines, the drowsy ones are stronger but would cause you to feel sedated. Most antihistamines can be obtained without a prescription
(4)You may require a short 3 day course of oral steroids to dampen the inflammatory response.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have red bumps on groin area. Not cured by antihistamine and bedaderm. Cause and cure? 6 hours later
One Doctor thought i had pityriasis rosea the other who is my family physician spoke about Clogged pours of that nature? My physician said ti could be due to the weather (Very Cold and Dry in Northern Canada) or it could be due to sports. Now would it be common to see this on the tip of my penis due to the trigger? I have the same type of bump but it is not itchy and is not going away. Does not hurt or itch.

I attempted to move away from the detergent i have always used. I attempted to use perfume and "dermatologist recommended" Tide and also i attempted to use infant detergent... i found that both of these made it worse and i also began to see rash's on my body.

I have been using zinc cream with vitamin E (Zincofax) and it seems to be making things easier for me as of late.

Would you recommend i use the betaderm again and not the lac hydrin 12%. I have been given a prescription for antihistamine's and they do make me drowsy.
I do have some Rash's popping up every other day on my torso, armpits, legs, back area, and that is why i got the bedaderm and antihistamines.. to relieve the patchy rashes and bumps that were very itchy... could i have a mix of two things? Contact Dermatitis and something else?
Could these symptoms be linked to an allergic reaction say to dogs or something else possible in diet?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later

IT is possible to be allergic to anything our bodies are exposed to. Allergy tests can be in the form of a single blood test that can test various allergic reactions or skin prick tests.
They can be done for chemicals , animals, food or environmental substances. This test may be a good option, so that you can eliminate anything that may be contributing to your symptoms instead of having to guess what may be aggravating it.
If the trigger is an agent coming into contact with your genitalia, buttocks and groin, then it would involve the penile area as well.

You should consider restarting the bedaderm, it would help to reduce the inflammation.

It is possible to have two concurrent illnesses.

It may be best to see a dermatologist to assess the rash , if possible.

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have red bumps on groin area. Not cured by antihistamine and bedaderm. Cause and cure? 9 hours later
What other options may help?

Exposure to Heat? Tanning? Sauna? Other than using the bedaderm.

Should i retrain from physical activity? These Red bumps are itchy but with no discharge or anything. How long will they be there for? wearing baggy clothing such as boxer shorts instead of briefs etc?

Do these look or sound like i should get tested again for STI (STD's) again? Even though I was checked more recently? Or should i stick with the options or contact dermatitis or one of the other options the physicians i have seen determined?

This itching is just consistent and i just getting aggravated since it has been around or closed to 2 months. AS i Stated before I asked my family physician if it was STI or if i should be checked and he quickly said there was not need. I am just making sure i cover all grounds and that is why i have come here for advice as well!
Also the Lac Hydrin ? Should i use this still? Or just stick to the bedaderm

Thank You
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Exposure to heat would more likely worsen the rash since heat itself can cause a rash.

If you have been recently tested for STD then it is not necessary to have it repeated.They do not sound typically like an STD which would more be associated with a discharge and burning on urination.

The lac hydrin would not be as helpful as the bedaderm. A short course of oral steroids may help

I think it would be best to see a dermatologist who may be able to review the rashes closely.

I understand that it is distressing and I hope this helps.
Follow-up: Have red bumps on groin area. Not cured by antihistamine and bedaderm. Cause and cure? 20 hours later
Thank you for all your help answering my questions. I appreciate it very much!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
No problem, wish you the best
Please feel free to contact with any other queries
Follow-up: Have red bumps on groin area. Not cured by antihistamine and bedaderm. Cause and cure? 3 days later
Hello I have just uploaded a picture. I had a little outbreak today on my back. Itchy kind of rash that i also have been having to add with these other issues i have had. Can you take a look and let me know if this is also contact dermatitis... I think this is where the other to physicians had an issue with identifying what this is.

Same symptoms... almost like small welts, rash, itchy. This pops up on my legs, back torso just as i explained before. Not as bumpy as my first question. This pops up everyday in small patches but recently i have had these larger patches popping up.

I am not sure if this is connected with what i have or not.. or if it is different.
I forgot to add the betaderm does help make the swelling go down. This has been about 2 months now with these issues.

My family physician is not at work and i am assuming i should see a dermatologist. It will be my next step... but last time i saw my physician he expressed to me he thinks it will go away. Thought?

downloaded another picture for you too see as well on the chest area.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later

It is possible, from the pictures that you downloaded, that it is dermatitis (contact simply means that it would be related to something that came in contact with that area of skin but dermatitis can also occur as a result of foods or other environmental allergens).

It looks very uncomfortable.

The fact that the betaderm does help, indicates that an inflammatory or allergic cause is likely.

I agree with you, the next best step would be to see your dermatologist, who will be able to conduct tests to determine what is provoking this response.

Hope this answers your question, feel free to ask anything else that you need help with
Follow-up: Have red bumps on groin area. Not cured by antihistamine and bedaderm. Cause and cure? 26 hours later
The inflammation has decreased significantly. I used to get that rash on a daily basis. Now i usually get small areas which are not as itchy. I tend to get the outbreak i will call it once every week or two weeks now. The betaderm is the only thing that makes it go away.

I have gone back to my original laundry detergent, and now i will test the usual soap i used before this outbreak started happening 2 months ago. The only link i can think of that is off is that there is a Dog here in my apartment now. that would be the only difference. But I have been told i am not allergic.

I hope i can reach a dermatologist soon because the main issue is not the itching it is the lack of sleep i am having due to this. Thank you for confirming this for me. nd Yes it is uncomfortable... and i look like a fool itching here and there.

I have purchased a new cream called eucercin... which is at the drug store i researched them online.. one is for itching and the other is for dry skin and I just put it on the rash today and it seems to have worked..

I hope this is just a weather issue because we have had a very cold and uncomfortable winter!

This website is great especially when you cannot see a physician soon..

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
You are welcome

Eucerin is a good option.
You can speak to your GP to find out who would be the best dermatologist to go to.

There are different possible allergens and the allergy test that will be done would allow you to eliminate the exact source of the problem

Best wishes