Have red bumps develop into blisters in groin area between scrotum and thigh. Itch until it burst. Treatment?

I have one or two red bumps that develop into blisters in the groin area (between scrotum & inner thigh). They itch until the burst and then take a couple of weeks to go away. Just when all are about gone another one or two show up. Monogamous and been married 26 years. What could it be and how do I treat?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergy, infection or jock itch

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

I would like to start by saying that almost all doctors suspect sexually transmitted infections first, in every patient with blisters in and around the genital region. But as your presentation is more around the groin region, I would like to add a few more conditions that present in such a way, also because you have been monogamous for quite sometime, but I would also like to say that this does not rule out the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection, which could have been in its latent phase (asymptomatic) for quite sometime. Let me list all the possibilities for you sir:
-Sexually transmitted infections (eg. herpes)
-Jock itch (very common in men, is the presence of a ringworm in the groin region)
-Yeast infections (can also cause itching)
-Pubic lice can result in blisters in and around the skin
-Contact dermatitis (a very itchy allergic condition, usually to clothing, soaps, etc.)

Your travel history could be associated with lice or even other infections. I would kindly request you to visit a doctor, as you might have to get physically examined sir. This is the best option, as it is best to treat this in the early stages, and prevent transmission to your wife (if possible).

I hope this helps. You could write back to me for any further clarifications.

Take care sir.