Have red bumps between my legs. What is this?

I have seven red bumps on pantyline between my legs on one side and and this morning it was just one. What is this?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Could you provide me with some additional information.
-Are you sexually active? If yes, when was your last sexual contact? Do you have one partner or more than one? Do you know this partner well?
-How would you rate your hygiene on a scale of 0-5?
-Is this the first time you have noticed these bumps?
-Any other symptoms like pain, fever?

According to your description I shall list the most likely conditions in order of their possibility:
-An ingrown hair (occurs when hair has been removed or is growing in, and due to either the method of cutting/shaving the hair or pressure from surrounding structures, the growth of the hair follicle has been obstructed. As a result of this the hair follicle tries to push out (red bump) and instead of growing out of the skin, it grows under it, which looks like an inflammatory reaction due to the process)
-Hidradenitis suppurativa (recurrent boils/cysts; do visit a doctor if you see these occurring frequently)
-Folliculitis (infection of the hair follicle; will be accompanied with pain; lasts for about 3-7 days)
-Poor hygienic
-Herpes (highly unlikely as the bumps would not disappear soon)

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me with a kind response to my questions, and if you have anymore clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have red bumps between my legs. What is this? 21 minutes later
I rate my hygeine at a 4. I only have one sex partner and I know him well. These have occurred once before when I sleep without underwear just pajamas. I suffer from in grown hairs all over my body if that helps. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Hello once again.

That is great news. From the information provided by you, this does appear to be bumps caused by ingrown hair. Also supporting this is the quick disappearance of these bumps. The last one that is present should also soon disappear.

If it does not, you could add some salt to your tub filled with lukewarm water, and soak your body in it for at least 15 minutes. This should help greatly. Otherwise, I think you are perfectly fine.

Do take care of yourself, and feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.