Have red bump on ear. Bump red, with fluid and bleeds. Plaque psoriasis?

Hi Doc,
Have single red bump on each ear which scabs over each time the prior scab is knocked off. Without scab, bump is bright red and weeps clear fluid and occasionally bleeds. Came out of nowhere a week ago. I've noticed many online queries about this and my mother has one on her left ear as well. Please don't tell me plaque psoriasis. Thanks so much.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 54 minutes later

You are may be having chondrodermatitis nodularis helicis, also known as Winkler's disease.

This is a painful, inflamed nodule of the ear, involving the cartilage and skin of the pinna. It is usually located at the apex of the helix.

It presents as a painful nodule on the helix or antihelix of the ear.
It appears spontaneously, then usually enlarges rapidly to its maximum size and remains stable. Onset may be precipitated by pressure, trauma or cold.

Biopsy is needed if the diagnosis is uncertain, particularly to exclude squamous cell carcinoma.

The lesion rarely resolves spontaneously and so will usually need some form of treatment if it is causing discomfort.

The aim of treatment is to reduce pressure on the site of the lesion.

#Altering the way headphones or telephone receivers are held to the ear.
#Sleeping on the opposite side, if possible.

#Using a soft pillow, or modifying the pillow with a hole where the nodule is in contact. A doughnut-shaped pillow was effective.

#Using a corn plaster.

#A pressure-relieving device, which can be made by using foam plastic to be applied at night.

#Using a protective made-to-measure silicone splint.

#Avoid excessive exposure to the cold and the sun.

#Topical antibiotics for secondary infections or ulceration. Petroleum jelly may also help if the lesion is ulcerated.

#Topical nitroglycerin has been beneficial in the control of symptoms and in improving appearance.

#Topical and intralesional steroids may relieve discomfort.

#Collagen injections may bring relief by providing cushioning between the skin and cartilage.

#Cryotherapy has been used.

#There are various surgical techniques used to achieve excision of the affected cartilage with reconstruction of the overlying skin.

Do not worry.The prognosis is excellent.

Conservative treatment is very effective..

The condition may recur after surgery. Recurrence rates are about 10-30%.

I hope you might be satisfied with my answer.

Wishing you early recovery.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD