Have red blotchy near thyroid. Was diagnosed with restrictive pulmonary hypertension. Related?

I have a red blotchy neck from side to side near the thyroid with a very white center area shaped like a butterfly. I have had it for many years. I was diagnosed with restrictive pulmonary hypertension. Does this cause this botchy area and why?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Butterfly rashes are generally seen mainly in systemic Lupus erythematosus, and can be seen on the neck, though classically on the face. Other autoimmune diseases like mixed Anti Nuclear Antibody, XXXXXXX Anti Ds DNA, CRP, Erythrocyte Sedimentation rate and a complete blood count are generally simple tests, and if could coupled with a diligent clinical evaluation, should orient towards a good diagnosis.

I am afraid restrictive pulmonary hypertension actually has different causal pathways. The causes are generally not very much understood. It is really very rare and unlikely that these should be related.

I suggest you consult an internist for proper clinical review. Could you send a picture of the lesion, and any further worries if you need further precisions. Thanks for the query, and wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD.