Have red bits in stool. Been on stool softeners, fibers. Had hemorrhoids, IBS. Are they tomatoes or blood clots?

I have red dots and bits in and around my stool. I believe I ate tomatoes yesterday. I wanted to make sure they weren't blood clots. I have been constipated and have taken stool softeners and fibers, know I have a small hemorrhoids and have IBS for years. I also have a pic. I was wondering if it looks like blood clots or just food particles to you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I can understand that you are very concerned that what you have seen may be blood clots. I suspect however that the most likely factor is related to your consumption of the tomatoes. if you had bleeding associated with this type of thing it would cause a significant degree of discoloration of your stool. The stool would sometimes even turn black. What I would recommend at this time would be to observe for any other changes in your bottle habits.

At the same time I want to take some time to ask you about your family history. I am wondering if you have any family history of early diagnosis of any type of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract. Sometimes there can be a genetic link to this type of thing. I am not suspecting that you have any type of malignancy but I just wanted to ask for the purpose of completeness.

Again I suspect that the findings that you have noticed are related to your diet. I would observe things for the time and being and if you have a recurrence of this type of episode we can discuss it further here or you can bring it to the attention of your response to be helpful and reassuring. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Have red bits in stool. Been on stool softeners, fibers. Had hemorrhoids, IBS. Are they tomatoes or blood clots? 13 hours later
Thank you, I have no family history of colon cancer and there was no blood when I wiped. I have a history of IBS and a proctologist was willing to give me a colonoscopy, after I begged him, and also due to some rectal pain I was having two years ago but I just started a new job and my health insurance doesn't start til late may. I am going to have t he colonoscopy in XXXXXXX or July once my health insurance is settled and I can book a couple of days off, just to put my mind at ease.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello again and thanks for the reply.

I understand your concern completely and it is reasonable to have the colonoscopy done for the sale of thoroughness as well as the piece of mind it will likely bring to you.

Thanks again for using our service. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Dr Galamaga