Ask a Homeopath   »  

Have red and swollen nostril, runny nose. Given medicine for infected hair follicle. Proper cure?

ENT Specialist
I have had a constantly runny nose for about 2 years. I have a red area slightly swollen red area in one nostril on the bone that separates the nostril it has been like that for 4 month but does not hurt. The ENT consultant thought it was an infected hair follicle . I have been using Bactroban for 2 months it does not make any difference.
My homeopath who is also a GP worried me today and suggested that she was concerned about the length of time it has been there. I asked if that was actually a good thing because there had been no change and she said she was not sure. It has concerned me that if it is an infected hair follicle it would hurt.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Unani
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

First of all, I would like to reassure you, the description given by you is not something XXXXXXX

The swelling over the nasal vestibule or over the mucus membrane could be an infected hair follicle or a mucous cyst, or a bony spur.

If it were to be an infected follicle, you would have tremendous pain, discharge, crusting over the follicle and sometimes associated with fever. As you are not having any of these symptoms, it is ruled out.

Mucus retention cysts are the fluid filled sacs which appear due to blockage of the opening of the mucus producing glands. Constant rubbing of the nose in order to clean the nose, would have blocked the glands and a cyst is formed. These cysts are usually painless and remains there for a longer duration compared to any other infective swellings. Also, retention cysts are harmless, and disappear after certain amount of time.

Finally, inflamed bony spur can also mimic folliculitis. Due to constant rubbing of the nose and over the spur, the mucosa may get inflamed and appear like an infected follicle.

Hence, it could be either a cyst or an inflamed bony spur which do not require any active intervention. If you can post few images of the same, I can help you in a better way.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have red and swollen nostril, runny nose. Given medicine for infected hair follicle. Proper cure? 45 minutes later
It is the mucous membranes that are swollen and red rather than something growing on the surface. It starts on the septum and travels in a sort of XXXXXXX shape. Should I trust that an ENT consultant has looked at this and even if it is not an infected hair follicle he would recognise cancer in the nasal area as opposed to what a GP thinks about it. Is the fact that it has not changed in 4 months and that it us not crusty of sore a good thing? I am struggling to take a photo.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 33 minutes later

Welcome back

If you are sure enough, that it is only the mucous membrane which is swollen, then, it is more likely to be a septal spur with an edematous mucosa than any infective swelling. I doubt any cancer at this stage. I trust an ENT specialist rather than a GP, as the former is trained in identifying ENT related problems better than a GP.

My sincere advice to you is to get back to your ENT specialist for reconsidering his diagnosis.

I wish you good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon