Have red and puffy face. Am I having any serious problem?

Sep 2012

I am 6'5" 260 lbs. I have continual red and puffy face. People routinely worry that I have some kind of health condition. Is there anything serious that could be associated with this?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the red and puffy face may occur due to many causes. But most common causes are Cushing syndrome, dermatomyositis, some food allergies, and kidney disease, SLE), idiopathic and many more conditions.

To come to a definite diagnosis, you have to be examined clinically. It is the main part. After that in case of clinical suspicion, you have to do some tests related with the suspected disease.

In case of kidney disease, you have to do a routine urine examination and blood urea nitrogen and creatinine level. In case of Cushing syndrome, you have to do cortisol level in urine and blood, and dexamethasone suppression test. In case of SLE anti ds DNA should be tested in blood.

If nothing abnormal is found, idiopathic cause should be considered. That means, it may occur as normal in you. But, if you develop any abnormality, you have to seek medical advice.

But, it would be better to get tested for presence of any disease condition. You will get peace of mind. So, consult with a general physician first for a detailed clinical examination.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.