Have red and painful toe, no itching. What is causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
My middle toe is very red and painful but not itchy i don't wear tight shoes and live in warm environment what is causing this
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 10 minutes later
Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

The cause of red painful toe could be monoarthritis or cellulitis both most probably due to a bacterial invasion or infection of the middle toe. You might require a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin or cloxacillin associated to an antiinflammatory such as ibuprofen or diclofenac or any other NSAID.
Other possible cause is a gouty attack (if red, swollen, painful and does not respond immediately to antiinflammatory drugs and antibiotics).
This seems to be mild but needs to be treated soon before it complicates. A primary care doctor will be able to help with that.

Hope this helps
Dr. Bernard

Follow-up: Have red and painful toe, no itching. What is causing this? 1 hour later
Could this red painful toe have been caused by the removal of growth on my knee 6 weeks ago

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later
Thanks for updating,

That is possible but rare. With cellulitis there is almost always a recognizable portable of entry (of bacteria) like in your case where a growth was removed. But the spread normally would have been proximal to your leg and not distal to your toes. But it is possible it is the origin of the red painful toe. I suggest you get that checked up for antibiotics prescription.

Hope this helps
Dr. Bernard

Have visited doctor as redness was spreading they are not sure what is causing this and have prescribed antibiotics and follow up visit on Wednesday I would like to thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 minutes later
Thanks for updating and it was my pleasure being able to help in my own.
Just take antibiotics prescription as indicated by your doctor and the infection will most probably be controlled. It looks like you have cellulitis (infection of the skin). You can also include NSAID to control the pain and inflammation.

Hope this helps and please if you are satisfied do accept my answer
Dr. Beranard