Have red and itchy belly button. Noticed pus coming out of it. Sore to touch. Fungal infection?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX and ive been to the doctors twice about this but nothing seems to be helping- my belly button was red, itchy and pus was coming out of it a couple weeks ago, I was told that it was an infected belly button, but last night my belly button was leaking pus that had a little bit of blood in it and was extreamly sore, itchy and hot, I went back to the doctors today andagain they said it was a fungal infection, but all day today my whole stomache has been sore from the top of my belly button, around the side and down the right bottom side of my belly button/stomache.
What could it be? because i dont think a fungal infection in my belly button could be causing this much discomft.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic,

It is possible that it is an infected urachal sinus or an urachal cyst.
The urachus is a structure that connects the bladder to the umbilicus when persons are in the womb. It normally closes before birth but an opening can persist in some persons.
A urachal cyst occurs when the lumen or space along this connecting cord does not completely close and a cyst develops along some aspect of its path. A cyst is a sac usually filled with fluid.

A urachal sinus occurs where the opening is connected or opening to the umbilicus. It is thought to be due to an infected cyst that has opened towards the umbilicus.
These problems can present with pain and umbilical discharge.

They are diagnosed by ultrasound in most cases though in some instances a CT may be necessary.
Treatment involves a swab to determine the exact bacteria involves so it can be treated specifically and also surgical treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions