Have red and brown spots on arm. Used cortizone. How to remove this completely?

Hi, I am XXXXXX. I have this red and brown spots on my arms. They do not itch but some of them are slightly raised. It spread until after my elbow on my right arm. On my left arm it just stayed all together around my wrist which it makes more dramatic. I have tried cortizone 10 plus, but that is for itching and irritations. I do not know if this can be called an irritation. They do not bother. However, I am worried because I have never had any skin problem other than mild acne.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thanks for the images which very much clarify your worry.

It would be interesting to know exactly for how long these spots have been there. The lesions could either be inflammatory, an allergy to something you were, or are constantly exposed to, or a skin fungal infection.

They actually look inflammatory, and normally should respond to topical steroids. Failure to respond might imply either an inappropriate dose, or a concomitant infection. Some people might even react to some corticosteroids. In most cases, the Cortizone you used works. Its an additional reason in this case, to get a proper evaluation, too see and know exactly why its failing in this case. Other diagnosis could be brought in mind and treated approptriately.

A clinical examination with a dermatologist is my advice. Culture of these lesions could exclude an infectious cause. A careful monitoring is required to ascertain therapeutic success, quickly identify adverse reactions and modify treatment when necessary.

I suggest you consult a dermatologist for a complete evaluation and follow up.

Thanks and best regards. Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be.

Best regards, Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Have red and brown spots on arm. Used cortizone. How to remove this completely? 15 minutes later
I have had these for a week now. The cortizone seems not to be working. Do you recommend another kind of topical steroids or corticosteroids?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 17 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would suggest a topical lotion containing a steroid, an antibiotic and an anti fungal drug (Positon creame, candiderme creme) are lotions with this properties.

However, a clinical follow to evaluate therapeutic success, and possible side effects, reactions or modification of drug dose is often required. Its important to know that drugs at times react differently in different persons.

With this in mind, my advice is still to get at some point, a consultation with a dermatologist for proper evaluation. While waiting positon or candiderme can do.

Thanks and best regards,

Luchuo, MD.