Have recurring cold, nasal inflammation and noticed blood in mucus. What could it be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a reoccuring problem which i thought was just a common cold, with fullness in my nasal cavity and if i breath in via my nose sharply i can dislodge musus and spit it out. The mucis is always yellow with blood tinges and very dense almost fiberous. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a chronic sinusitis or an allergy causing nasal inflammation .
Rarely more significant underlying conditions like nasal polyps or malignancies can present initially with such symptoms.
Considering that you have been having upper respiratory problems since childhood sinusitis or allergy seem to be the most probable causes.
Please do not worry. These are all treatable conditions and should resolve with appropriate treatment .
First and foremost , for confirming the diagnosis ,you need to get yourself evaluated by an Ear nose throat specialist ( examination and tests if necessary like X-rays , blood tests etc) . The treatment will depend on the cause. If infection is present the doctor might give you a course of antibiotics . Otherwise symptomatic relief can be gained by nasal and oral decongestant medicines ( antihistamines ) and antiinflammatory drugs and anti allergics ( cetrizine , montleukast etc).
It's best to avoid self medication or delay the treatment since it will only worsen the problem. A proper diagnostic work up and management by a specialist is indicated as soon as feasible.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up query.