Have recurrent lipomas on arms, thighs, lower back and sides. Looking for treatment

General Surgeon
I have recurrent lipomas on my arms, back of thighs, lower back and sides. I have had a couple of surgeries to remove some of the larger ones. All have been benign so far. While I certainly cannot keep having surgery and I plan to just let them be, how do I ensure that none are growing internally or if any are malignant? Is there some sort of test like an ultrasound I need to do regularly?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 28 hours later

You are suffering from lipomatosis. There is no particular treatment for them - just that the particular large ones or the ones which are causing any compressible symptoms like pain should be excised.

Very rarely these may be present in XXXXXXX organs and may cause bleeding etc. I suggest you can get a screening ultrasound done once. And can get it periodically repeated. But this is very rare. So you need not worry too much about it, unless you have some symptoms like abdominal pain etc.

The precise nature of the lump and its benign nature can be confirmed by histopathological studies which will be done on the excised lump following surgery.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr. Rajat Gupta