Have recovered from typhoid and cannot eat non-veg. Is it fine to have fish?

i just have recovered from typhoid and i have been told that i cannot eat non-veg.Some of my friends say that when they had the same problem thay had fish is it ok if we can have fish?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I dont think so

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Enteric fever or typhoid fever is usually caused by eating contaminated food.

The food can get contaminated by peopling handling the food. They may be carriers or known cases of typhoid and may transmit the germs unknowingly. Second way of transmission is by food that has been washed with or stored in contaminated water or even sewage. There are many known cases that happened after eating fish.

Thus I will ask you to take your precautions and eat food that has been prepared and handled at home by someone who is not a carrier (or known case) of typhoid. Secondly avoid eating non-vegetarian food including fish since fish is usually stored in water.

Drink pure water and wash food in pure water as well. These precautions you will need to take for sometime until your immunity is strong enough. Maybe even lifelong precautions are required to prevent a recurrence of typhoid.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Have recovered from typhoid and cannot eat non-veg. Is it fine to have fish? 37 hours later
how long i should not eat non-veg because my doctor asked me not to have non-veg until 3 months how far is his statement true?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper handling of food

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

Your doctor's statement is true as far as your food is not getting contaminated with typhoid again. Try to figure out the source of previous typhoid infection. You can start non-veg in small quantities after three months, just make sure that you do not take contaminated food. In fact non-veg food is easily digestible and is usually recommended in digestive problems. Your doctor gave you a time period so that you give appropriate time for your gut to heal.

Also do not eat spicy food. Some non-vegetarian dishes are very spicy.

Since you have just recovered from typhoid, you may continue to secrete germs for some time in feces. Thus you will need to take precautions and do not contaminate your own food. Wash hands properly before preparing and eating food.

Take small regular meals, rather than large meals. Avoid raw food that is not digestible. Take lighter food initially. If you have lost weight or you feel week, you can also add nutritional supplements like Ensure or Proteinex to your diet.

I hope I clarified on your issue.

Dr Vaishalee