Ask a Urologist   »  

Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate?

Urologist
Question
Hi Dr.
I have recently done ultrasound scanning and couldn't consult a doctor after that. I have attached the results here. Could you please check and shed some lights on what is the problem with the kidney.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

You have an angiomyolipoma (AML) in the right kidney. AML does not cause any problem if it is less than 4 cm in size.
You should stop worrying about the AML. The size of 1.4 cm is unlikely going to trouble you in your lifetime. However, you should get yearly ultrasound to followup the size. AML is not cancerous and does not increase your chances of having cancer.

You should get yourself investigated with 24 hr urine ca/ uric acid and oxalate and serum calcium, uric acid to find out the possible etiology of the stone and modify your lifestyle accordingly.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 8 minutes later
Dear Dr.,

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm a bit unclear about the tests you suggested. Could you please let me know the name of the tests which I should mention at the Diagnostic Lab. Also, do I not need to take any medication for the stone problem?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 minutes later
Dear Sir,

The tests are

Sr Ca/ Uric acid
24 hr urine ca/ uric acid/ oxalate

Once you get these test done then we can plan you for further management of the stone disease.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 45 hours later
Dear Dr.

I have attached my blood test results here. The hospital did not have the faciliity for urine test. I need to get it done from outside. Please check this result.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 22 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Kindly send the reports again as the attachment is not opening.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 14 minutes later
I have uploaded it again. Please check.
Dear Dr.,

In case if the attachment is still not visible, Serum Calcium is 9.0 mg/dl and Uric Acid is 7.0 mg/dl

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear Sir,

You certainly require medication and dietary modifications.I shall start you on medications once the 24 hr urine tests are done.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 28 hours later
Ok, I will get back to you with the results.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 42 minutes later
Dear Dr.

I enquired near my home. They have the test and need to collect urine for 24 hours. I will be travelling tonight. Please keep this discussion open. I will get back to you as soon as I can do the tests.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 45 hours later
Dear Sir,

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Rajiv goel

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 2 days later
Dear Dr.

I am still waiting for the reports. However, here I am attaching the scan report which I have taken a month back. It looks different from the latest report.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 13 hours later
Dear Sir,

I can not find any attachment.

Sincerely

Rajiv goel

Follow-up: Have recently done ultrasound scanning for kidney. What does it indicate? 30 hours later
I have uploaded it again. PLease check.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 17 hours later
Dear Sir,

All the previous ultrasound report does not show angiomyolipoma, I shall treat you as if you have it. As already mentioned the AML does not need any treatment.

As far as stones are concerned, ultrasound may under or over pick the stones and thus needs to be worried about that too.

Get back to me with metabolic workup.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel