Have reactive airway disease due to breathing paint fumes. Left side chest pains constantly. Possibilities?

I am a 35 year old male. Runner, in good shape, however, I do have reactive airway disease due to breathing paint fumes at work. For the past 5 months I have had a dull pain on the left side of my chest. The pain has slowly gotten worse and more constant. It does not get worse with physical activity however. I had an ekg 5 months ago and the results were normal. I am wondering what some possible causes of this could be.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

A dull type of pain not related to exertion rules out pain due to cardiac reasons.
It is most likely due to a non cardiac problem

1. Pleura- pleurisy.

This is a lining of the lung and most often when this lining gets infected then there will be a pin prick to dull pain present through out the day and intensity changes with each respiration

2. Bones

Bony tenderness of the rib cage also causes pain which is of dull nature. However bone pain will be tender to touch

3. Muscles

Most often this is the cause for pain in young individuals. This can happen due to exercise or trauma, wrong sleeping posture, etc

In your case it is most likely to be pleurisy. More so because you have a reactive airway disease and we have to rule out air in the pleural cavity

Please approach a pulmonologist. Your work up should include

1. Blood workup - complete blood count with erythrocyte sedimentation rate, total creat phospokinase.
2. Chest x XXXXXXX
3. Pulmonary function test

Pain killers like aceclofenac will help reduce pain to a certain extent. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health