Have reacted badly to diovan for G6pd. Lisinopril not in list. Other options?

I have G6pd and have reacted badly to Diovan and now find out Lisionpril on contraindiction list
What can I use
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 hours later

There are two possibilities which come to mind for you which work well for blood pressure.

The first class of medication is calcium channel blockers including amlodipine 2.5 mg to 10 mg daily.

The second consideration would be atenolol or metoprolol which are beta blockers. These medications should be safe to be taken in the setting of G6PD deficiency.

It is extremely important that you get your blood pressure under control and your primary physician will work with you to optimize blood pressure control in the setting of your G6PD.

Thanks again for the query I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga