Have raw and itchy buttocks, tried OTC. No other symptoms. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr Grief;
I have a very raw and itchy buttox that I have had for a couple of weeks no and I have tried a couple of OTC remedies (Gold Bond and Aloa) and neither seem to do any good. I do not have any other issues such as bleeding, fever or such, just the raw behind.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs direct examination and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Itching in the rectal opening can be caused by many reasons like-
1.Chemicals in the foods we eat, such as are found in spices, hot sauces, and peppers.
2.Irritation of continuous moisture in the anus caused by frequent liquid stools, diarrhea, or escape of small amounts of stool (incontinence).
3.Treatment with antibiotics also can lead to a yeast infection and irritation of the rectum.
4. Psoriasis.
5. pinworm infestation.
6. hemorrhoid or anal fissures
7. skin tags (abnormal local growth of anal skin).
Direct clinical examination is the only way to diagnose the problem.
Please visit your physician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
Only OTC products are not likely to help you much.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.