Have rashes on leg. It is increasing continuously. What should I do?

Jul 2012

I have a rash on my leg for over a year. I have been to several doctors. It has not been properly diagnosed (excema/dermatitis/razor bumps) since nothing has worked. They are small red bumps that do not itch. Sometimes I will see a solid white line that sticks out of a pore, ( a good 1/4") and I pull it out. The bump remains, however. They are increasing in quantity, and recently have appeared on my other leg. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX
At the outset, i tend to agree with you. Eczema, dermatitis et al by nature of the disease process tend to have 'itch' as a primary symptom & you state clearly that there is 'no itch'!
Is it possible for you to upload a clear photograph of the said rash /bumps on your leg using the 'upload data' icon? This will aid the diagnostic process as dermatology is pretty much a visual field largely.
Having said this, it is probably imperative to do a skin biopsy of the lesions as it has been a year now sans diagnosis & it seems to be bothering you. I would suggest you fix an appointment with the dermatologist specifically to get this done.
From your clinical history & diagnosis it does appear to be some sort of rash belonging to the 'follicular hyperkeratoses' group. If so, the condition may not be much to write home about but the treament may be 'sticky' & 'long drawn'...but instead of undue speculation will wait on you to send in that snap failing which, please do go ahead & fix that dermatologist appointment for a 'skin biopsy' under local anaesthesia on an outpatient basis.
Relax..shall soon have you sorted out...await your response. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have rashes on leg. It is increasing continuously. What should I do? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Rodrigues

Thank you.

I don't think a biopsy is something I would want to do if I could avoid it. My main problem is that the rash is so ugly that I don't expose my leg in public, so no shorts for Vegas, that's difficult when it reaches over 100 degrees! A biopsy, I imagine would leave a scar?

Also, just to mention, the bumps do burn a bit after I pull out this horrible white line, which, if you could see the photo, you would notice that it leaves the bumps reddish and irritated.

I did take a photo, but I don't see anyway to get it to you. The site did have this option when I asked you the original question. But, there is not one on this follow-up page. There is no "upload data" icon.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there again XXXXXXX
Not to worry. You dont need to go in for the biopsy if uncomfortable. However, the scar that it leaves is really very tiny less than half an inch & even that can be avoided if one does a 'punch' biopsy.
I am as tech savvy as the next person & am sorry but perhaps the XXXXXXX staff will be better able to assist you upload the snap. It does not show up on my page as of now.
That is not going to change my decision making for you though..basically as i see it you will require 2 creams/ for 'peeling' & 'moisturizing' the skin (a good one is Exfoliac lotion which contains glycolic acid 10%) that has to be applied on the skin after 'wetting' it or after bathing when the bath water is left behind sans towelling & the lotion is applied on top of this!
The second is for the 'red' marks or scars..i suggest using Bioderma's Sensibio-d.s. cream or Cicabio cream or both one after the other daily & this will help reduce the redness & take away the scars while also acting as a moisturizer.
Trust this advice will see you soon showing off your great legs in vegas & the betting tables et al will soon churn out a winner! :)
Seriously, hope it works & all is well. Am pretty positive it will & chin's to great legs! Do send in your feedback/rating to the site & trust you will close the query & send in your ratings...& those on the legs will soon go up too :) One of my favourite all time songs' was Rod Stewart's Hot Legs! Wish you a clear skin soon. Cheers!
Follow-up: Have rashes on leg. It is increasing continuously. What should I do? 11 hours later
Attached are the photos of my leg rash, as you requested. I hope this helps with your diagnosis. Thank you.

Best regards;
Hi there XXXXXXX
I did view both the photographs sent.
It does appear to be a folliculitis of sorts most likely hyperkeratotic foliculitis.
My management sans biopsy will remain the same as suggested above.
Honestly, albeit you do 'subjectively' feel it looks ugly, have seen much worse & am of the opinion 'objectively' , it does not look as bad.
Having said this, please do use the 2 creams/lotions suggested as advised & do hope it gets better soon & you have nice legs left to show for it & are back to confidently wearing skirts et al. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD