Have rash, prescribed clobetasol propionate and salicylic acid. Rash is gone but skin turned reddish. Treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi doctor,
I have rash on my right XXXXXXX I have seen a doctor and he prescribed me clobetasol propionate and salicylic acid.After using it the rash has almost gone. But my skin turned reddish.I have attached some pics as well.Please suggest me how to get rid of this reddishness(do I need to apply any tropical cream).
Thank you very much,
XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your photograph and history.

Creams containing clobetasol propionate and salicylic acid are usually prescribed where skin is thick (as in psoriasis,eczema etc). Salicylic acid in such creams help to reduce thickness of skin.

Since it is a acid there is always some sort of redness and burning sensation after using it. It is a normal phenomenon. It will subcide with time. If you want to resolve it more quickly,you can use cream containing mild steroid like mometasone for few days. It will also prevent recurrence .

I hope this can solve your query,in case of any concerns I will feel happy to help you.

Follow-up: Have rash, prescribed clobetasol propionate and salicylic acid. Rash is gone but skin turned reddish. Treatment? 48 minutes later
Thank you for the quick reply sir.Could you please tell me specifically the mometasone brand that is available in drug stores in India. Also, should I apply the cream twice a day.

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 53 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

There are many market preparations of mometasone available, I will just enumerate two to three brands.

1. Momate cream (gracewell),
2. HHsone cream (H&H PHARMA),
3. Dermanex cream (torrent pharma).

You can choose whichever is available in your near drug store.

You need to apply it only at night time for 2 to 3 weeks .

I hope this will help you. If you still have any concerns feel free to ask.