Have rash on scalp and bleeding nose. On medication for allergies. Chances of ringworm or severe allergies?

Jul 2012

My 6 year old son has a rash at the base of his scalp. It is postule like, oozy, and causing his hair to be matted and sticky. He says it does not itch, but I catch him picking at it. Also, he has been suffering with allergies. I give him clariten at night, benedryll of the morning, and treating his nose with saline. He has been having severe nose bleeds (like soaking the pillow kind). He has had 4 nose bleeds in the past 24 hours. I am wondering if he has ringworm and severe allergies, or if it could be something worse:(
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
Your maternal instincts seem to be right. First address the crusted matted lesion. You may use very diluted 1:1000 potassium permanganate soaks & dab the region & remove the crusts. Next, look for any nits & lice in that region & perhaps a haircut will be helpful clipping the hair in that region. Then apply a topical 2%ketoconazole cream sparingly to the region for 2 weeks. I dont see the relationship with the nose bleeds unless the young man is 'picking' habitually at both regions..a point worthy of consideration as these young chaps do have stressors at school etc. Cheers & do hope this will help you make an informed deciscion.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD