Have rash on knee and legs. Worried Shingles. What to do?

I have a rash on the side of my left knee. This is the third time I have had a rash on my knees. The first time was on my right knee,it appeared last november a few days after I arrived back from Hong Kong. The doctor thought I must have been bitten over there. In Feb. I got the same rash on the left leg at the same place in XXXXXXX The rash seems to have a centre which looks like two slits which is pink in colour surrounding it with about six or seven dots it dosen't make up a full circle. Now there there are crusts on everything. I am not sure this is a bite I am wondering if this is shingles! This started 10 days ago and appears to be getting better. I have been applying a repellent.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later

It definitely does not sound like shingles. it could be mosquito bite induced prurigo, eczema, fungal infection etc.

All the above conditions are easily treatable. Prurigo and eczema require steroid cream while fungal infection requires antifungal cream.

I would be in better position to answer the query, if you could attach an image of the concerned area.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Have rash on knee and legs. Worried Shingles. What to do? 17 hours later

As per your reply to my question, please find attached photos showing the affected area, if you could advise what I would need to do next.

I have sent photos as requested,awaiting your reply.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I sincerely apologise for the delay, I was somehow not able to access the uploaded photographs due to their large size and now when I did,the photographs uploaded are not at all clear. I can just see a mobile screen and nothing else. Dear Sir, skin is completely a visual field and no diagnosis can be made unless skin lesions are clearly seen.
Nevertheless, based on the clinical description provided, I would advise you to do warm water compresses over the area and then use a steroid antibiotic cream twice in a day over the lesion and if itchy please take tablet cetirizine. This will aid in removing the crust and faster healing of lesion in three to four days. A repellent would prevent mosquito bite but would not heal the lesion, so do not apply it over the lesion as it may irritate already existing lesion. Please follow these suggestions and get back to me in three or four days for follow up. if possible upload a better image too. Just to allay your anxiety, it is not shingles as shingles occurs only once in life. It does not occur repeatedly.
I shall be available for all clarifications and follow up.
Warm regards