Have rash on forearm and thighs. Feel may be scabies. No pain or itching. What to do?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, I have a rash on my forearm they are bumps at least 50 or more, on both arms, it seems to also be on the front part of my thigh, it doesn't itch, I've had it for about a week now, it seems to be spreading a little but I'm not sure because it covers such a large area. My biggest concern is scabies... I have no reason to believe I've come into contact with scabies but I have a new born and a toddler I don't want to spread it. I work out every day, I am doing the insanity work out and use the rug down stairs (Where the dog runs around) I thought it could be related to that because I use my forearms in the workouts and they get pressed into the rug. I also thought about sweat bumps or a heat rash, any ideas? I've attached two photos one of my arm and one of my leg, again the rash is on both forearms and both front thighs. Thanks
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your history and images uploaded.

It does not appear to be scabies.

Scabies usually affects webspaces,wrist, genitals and the skin lesions are extremely itchy.In your case it can be heat related rash or papular urticaria .

Also I would like to know-
Is the rash itchy any time?
Is there any pain?
Are you exposed to garden/new outdoor activity/heater etc?
Does your dog has any lesions?
Can you upload better close images?

Upload the images and we can continue the discussion here.

I will be available for follow up.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology

Follow-up: Have rash on forearm and thighs. Feel may be scabies. No pain or itching. What to do? 2 hours later
Thank you for the reply,

Also I would like to know-
Is the rash itchy any time? It has been itchy a few times, I was out in the sun earlier and started to sweat, the sweat seemed to have made it a little itchy. Also, every now and again I will get a little itchy sensation but it is not continuous.
Is there any pain? No I am not experiencing any pain on or around the affected area
Are you exposed to garden/new outdoor activity/heater etc? No
Does your dog has any lesions? Yes on her belly, she has been fighting papulars for several months now, she's been treated several times they think she is having a reaction to something.

Can you upload better close images? Yes, I've uploaded more photos.

It will only allow me to load two at a time, there are two new photos, if you'd like you can review those and if you need more I can send others, closer views.

Sorry just realized it is spreading it is now further up the back of my arm, and that new spot is a bit itchy.. although it could be because I itched it for a bit.

Sorry for multiple post, I have been trying to upload additional photos, when I try to upload the ones that are up close to the rash it gives me an error 413 request entity to large.

Thanks
Follow-up: Have rash on forearm and thighs. Feel may be scabies. No pain or itching. What to do? 6 minutes later

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for details.
The lesions appear to be more or less papular urticaria.It is a type of insect bite reaction.It is possible that it can be transmitted from your pet dog.
You need to take antihistaminic like tab.Cetirizine 10 mg twice daily.You can also apply mild steroid like 1% hydrocortisone cream twice daily over the lesions.The rash should be controlled in 2-3 days.Both the above medicine are available over the counter without prescription.
If the rash is not controlled a visit to your primary physician or dermatologist would be required.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Have rash on forearm and thighs. Feel may be scabies. No pain or itching. What to do? 22 hours later
Thank you for the reply, your diagnosis would mean that I could also transmit the insect to my daughters?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again,

It does not mean that you can transmit it to your daughters.Try wearing full sleeved cotton clothes and socks even when indoors.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have rash on forearm and thighs. Feel may be scabies. No pain or itching. What to do? 7 hours later
Thank you for your assistance!

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Thanks.
If you are satisfied with the answer then please accept it and rate it at the end.
Regards.