Have rash on buttocks and jock itch, used cortizone cream and jock spray. Suggest?

Dec 2013

I have a rash on my buttocks do I have jock itch? I can't seem to clear it up.
I have a rash with little bumps on the cheeks of my buttocks which I can't clear up. I have used cortizone cream and jock itch spray and nothing helps.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

After reading your query I can make the best possibility of fungal infection of the buttock area.

To explain you medically - fungal infections generally affects the damp and moist areas of body such as buttocks commonly. This is because of the fact that this area is most often remains neglected because of poor visibility as well as remaining wet and closed for a long time. We are able to put attention over it only during bathing.

Fungus has tendency to grow at these damp areas. The skin over Buttock area is always closed and moist so it penetrates into the skin at that local area. Once it enters it either remains dormant or sometimes when the moisture is high it becomes bit active.

Now for the part of remedy :
- Keep your buttock area completely dry.
-Stay way from heat and humidity.
- After bathing dry your buttock with two small dry towels.
- The undergarments should be changed two times a day. Never wear the used undergarments again.
- Use anti-fungal dusting powder.
- You can apply sertaconazole cream or any good plane anti-fungal cream over the affected area for two time day. Let it be applied in a very thin layer and merged with the skin so that this itself should not cause any dampness.
- Anti-fungal tablets such as Fluconazole 400 mg in first weeks and then 150 mg in following weeks can be taken twice a week for 4 weeks of period under medical supervision.
- For itching you can take tablet Loratadine or cetrizine as an when required basis.

Do not apply cortizone cream as it is steroid and can cause further aggravation. I request you to not to pinch, pop or squeeze any of the area as it can cause further spread as well as secondary infection.

Hope these informations will help you.

with best health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia