Have rash in abdominal area. Feel sore hip and fatigue. Applying hydrocortizone. Cure?

I have a rash on my abdominal area - left side extending from center to hip area, hip is sore, having some fatigue. Have been applying hydrocortizone (sp.?)creme which gives some relief but it is not going away. It's been 4-5 days with no relief. very irritating. Live on working farm - 78 years old - in good health.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The rash may be a contact dermatitis which is basically the skin reacting to contact with a specific allergen. This would be anything that could have come into contact with this part of your skin such as any chemical agents (soaps, creams,lotions, detergents) or other agents such as plants.
In this case it would be itching and red but not painful. A steroid cream may be helpful but hydrocortisone is a very weak steroid, it is normally reserved for small children and sensitive areas such as the face.

If it is dermatitis you would need a stronger steroid cream such a cutivate, desOwen, elocon,, lidex E cream. You may need a prescription for these but you can contact your local pharmacy first if it fits the description of contact dermatitis.

It is also possible that it can be shingles. This would cause a red area with papules (small red bumps) or vesicles (small water filled bumps), it would be painful or uncomfortable.

In this case you would need an antiviral cream such as zovirax or oral antiviral such as acyclovir or valcyclovir.
Pain relief medication would also be described.

You may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment to determine which rash is more likely and to receive treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions