Have rash and swelling on foot. Having pain. History of heart trouble. What should I do?

right swollen foot with a rash on top of the foot and swollen ankle with red blotchy spots behind my calf. very hot to the touch and very painful. Ankle and foot have been swollen for about 3 months with no pain.. This week the blotchyness started and so did the pain. age 51 female, history of heart trouble in family. weight 155lbs
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

It seems at present you are suffering from thrombophlebitis. It occurs because of damage to the underlying veins.
Damage is because of three underlying causes:
1.reduced blood flow.
2.Formation of a blood clot in veins.
3.Damage to blood vessels. Your swelling of ankle and foot may be due to formation of a blood clot, and this clot damaged the blood vessel leading to redness and pain.

There are many risk factors associated with phlebitis. Some seem to be associated with you.
1.age, since you are 51, you may be in menopausal age and estrogen level falls leading to increased chance of clot. history of heart disease which also may be related to increased lipid levels in your body.
3.There is increased chances if you have taken oral contraceptives, you have a job of prolonged standings, long travel by plane, etc.

Keep your leg elevated at night time. Avoid prolonged standing. You can wear a stocking at day time.Take analgesics such as combiflam which will give you some relief.

But you need to undergo detailed investigations your blood cholesterol levels, doppler scan etc and it is better you consult your doctor. Hope I answered your query, if you have any doubts please let me know.