Have rapid heart rate. EKG, chest x-ray and ct scan normal. Any medicine to get normal heart rate?

I went to the er for rapid heart rate. At the ER it got up to 150- this has never happened before. I had an EKG which was normal, chest Xray normal, CT scan, normal. I am 33 yrs old female. The internist has me on 75mg of metoprolol but my resting heart rate is still around 95 and when I am active I am still going over 100. I see a cardiologist next week but so far have no answers. Is there some drug that will bring my HR to a normal level?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Do NOT worry
There are several classes of drugs
And there are several drugs in each class.
Every drug needs dose titration in the every individual...
The dose of Metoprolol is up to 200 mg...
You can step up to 100 mg and watch – your heart rate AND Blood Pressure.
Ask your doctor

The cause has to be worked out - Anaemia / Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much coffee, cola) / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’; Salbutamol used for asthma / Fever / Thyroid / Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium ... \ At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) are responsible!

You need further investigations...HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) / ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.

The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck