Have raised painful rash on butt cheek. It has swelled and swelling has spread to groin. Suggest?

Question
i have a small raised circular rash on my bottom left butt cheek,has been for six days doesn't itch but is painful just outside the rash where it is swelled,swelling has started to spread to left groin ,what is it?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The rash has the appearance of a fungal rash. Tinea coporis is the technical term used to describe the appearance of a fungal rash on the body.

It normally appears like a enlarging red ring which is why some persons may also call them ring worm.The edge would appear elevated like in the picture.

Fungal rashes are most likely to occur if (1) an individual lives in a hot humid environment (2) wears occlusive clothing that may predispose to sweating (3) involved in any sports that require close contact

It is treated with the application of a topical anti fungal cream. These may be available over the counter. The common anti fungal creams are clotrimazole, ketoconazole, miconazole, terbinafine. These creams would be applied with a q tip or cotton which should then be discarded.

It can take 2 to 3 weeks for the infection to completely resolve, rarely it can take longer.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have raised painful rash on butt cheek. It has swelled and swelling has spread to groin. Suggest? 5 minutes later
i figured it was ringworm thats why i purchased blue star oinment,i was concerned about the swelling in my left groin....does ringworm cause swelling?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
HI, the inflammation that can occur in association with the ring worm can result in swelling. That should resolve once you have been using the ointment for at least 2 to 3 days.

Any infection can potentially induce an inflammatory response as your body prepares to fight the infection.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have raised painful rash on butt cheek. It has swelled and swelling has spread to groin. Suggest? 7 minutes later
thank you i thought i was dying....how long should i use the blue star ointment? and what should i look for in the signs of healing? thank you so much for your input it has mad my day doc....

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Hi

You may have to use for at least 2 weeks , longer if the rash is still present. Fungal rashes unlike bacterial rashes can take this long to resolve.

The improvement will be slow, just use it consistently and the rash and any other symptoms will resolve

Feel free to ask any other questions regarding any this or any other concerns

God bless,