Have raised enzymes. Diagnosed as fatty liver. Taking medication for epilepsy. What is causing raised enzymes?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My mother was told recently she had raised enzymes which are increasing and are now 500 on her liver. She had an ultrasound of the liver and was told it was a fatty liver but smooth with no rough edges!!
she had another ultrasound of the gallbladder which was all normal.
she is on lots of medication for epilepsy, high chol and blood pressure.
Have you any idea why her enzymes could be increasing?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The cause of her raised enzymes is fatty liver. As the fatty liver resolves by treatment ,the liver enzymes will automatically come to normal.
In fatty liver there is increased deposition of fat over the liver. This hinders the functioning of the liver cells. Elevated liver enzymes is a sign of early damage to the liver.If untreated it can lead to cirrhosis which is dreadful disease.
High cholesterol suggests derrangement of fat metabolism.
With treatment the condition can resolve fully.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Follow-up: Have raised enzymes. Diagnosed as fatty liver. Taking medication for epilepsy. What is causing raised enzymes? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply

What do you think could be causing the fat around the liver? My mother is now being referred to a gastro consultant who will perform a CT scan and do biopsies, which worries me
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 43 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback.
Fatty liver can be caused by a variety of causes. The common ones are as follows
1. Diabetes
2. Hypercholesterolaemia
3. Obesity.
4. Poor nutrition.(hypoproteinaemia)
5. Alcoholism
6. Drug induced.
7. Viral hepatitis (Hep B and C)
The biopsy will reveal "NASH" which is described as non alcoholic steatohepatitis in non alcoholic individuals and alcoholic fatty liver(hepatitis) in alcoholics.It is a type of liver inflammation as a result of which the liver enzymes are elevated.
It is a reversible process provided it has not progressed to fibrosis or cirrhosis.
I hope this answers your doubt.
With regards