Have raised bump near the corner of eye. Doesn't hurt and hasn't affected vision. Cholesterol growth?

I have a bump near the corner of my eye-- very close actually, that my plastic surgeon says he thinks it is a cholesterol growth?? It doesn't hurt and hasn't affected my vision-- but it is annoying..I have had it for about 2 years
It is a small raised bump about 0.1cm or less and looks white filled-- what is this and how do I get rid of it??
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
treatment is surgical

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cholesterol growths that occur in this region are called xanthelasma. These , however, are normally yellow plaques that occur on the eyelids, the upper eyelid more commonly.
They are located to the nasal side of the eyelids and are not seen in the eyes themselves.

Another type of lesion that can also appear in the eyes are pterygium. These are seen on the surface of the eye, usually on the nasal side. This usually has a pinkish tinge to it.
It can present with no symptoms or be associated with itching, irritation or blurred vision. These are benign and are treated surgically if they present with symptoms.

The other options for lesions in the eyes are causes such as: (1) pinguecula- these are also benign lesions that occur on the nasal side of the eye (2)inclusion cysts , (3) sudoriferous cysts

You can consider sending a picture of the lesion if possible.

You may want to consult your opthalmologist for a definitive diagnosis. He or she would be able to examine the lesion carefully.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Have raised bump near the corner of eye. Doesn't hurt and hasn't affected vision. Cholesterol growth? 6 hours later
How do I send a picture of this to you??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
it can be attached

Detailed Answer:

The picture can be attached to the question. If you have difficulties with it, you can contact the service department and they would be able to guide you through it.