Have raised ALT, SGPT and LDL level. Is this dangerous?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello, I just came accross your site and I need to ask about my ALT/SGPT which is 88, my AST/SGOT is 86, my cholesterol is 5.72, my glucose is 7.6 and my LDL cholesterol is 3.94. These findings just done last XXXXXXX 23, 2013.I would like to know how danger is it and what should I do. Thank you so much and waiting a reply from you.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I would like to know some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. How old are you?

2. Why were these tests done?

3. Do you drink alcohol?

4. Are you a diabetic?

5. Are you on any medications?

Kindly get back to me with the answers.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have raised ALT, SGPT and LDL level. Is this dangerous? 1 hour later
Hello, I just came accross your site and I need to ask about my ALT/SGPT which is 86, my AST/SGOT is 45, my cholesterol is 5.72, my glucose is 7.6 and my LDL cholesterol is 3.94. These findings just done last XXXXXXX 23, 2013.I would like to know how danger is it and what should I do. Thank you so much and waiting a reply from you. (Amendment please) I made a mistake in giving you my AST/SGOT and ALT.SGPT. So this is the correct one.

Answers to your questions. I am 52 years old. this test justt been done last XXXXXXX 23, 2013 as required by the company I am working with (yearly medical check-up). Only sometimes I drink. I am taking Glucophage to maintain my sugar level. I am taking medication as my maintenance (Baby Aspirin, 5mg Zestril, Glucophage 850 mg and multi Vitamins.
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 37 hours later

Thanks for the information.

All of the values except ALT/SGPT and LDL you mentioned are normal.

Raised values of enzymes ALT or AST indicate stress on the liver; such stress could be due to liver damage, recent consumption of a fatty meal or drug induced. The higher values if are persistent then you may have to get your liver function evaluated completely to know the exact cause for the raised enzyme levels.

The LDL (Low density lipoprotein) is marginally raised; this is the bad cholesterol which can affect the cardiac health. Restriction of the fat consumption can solve the issue. If the LDL seems to be raised persistently then you may have to be placed on medications to control the same.

I suggest you to repeat the ALT, AST and Lipid profile test after a period of a 3 month, if the values seem to be raised then you may have to consult a Gastroentrologist for further evaluation.

The other readings like Cholesterol, glucose are in normal range and need no intervention.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.