Have q tip inside ear. How to get them out?

ENT Specialist
i discovered, to my horror today, that what I thought were channels in the ear canal were actually q tips that were under the skin! I don't know how they got there, or how long they have been there, but I was able to push them all down to one location, how do i get them out?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

If you are sure that the things inside the canal are the qtips, please do not ry to remove it by yourself. The more you try to meddle with it, those things will be pushed deeper into the canal.

My suggestion to you is to consult your doctor, so that he can remove it meticulously under direct observation. Do not use any sort of ear drops as this can cause more harm than good; the wetness inside the canal will attract the fungus.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have q tip inside ear. How to get them out? 32 hours later
How would a Dr. actually remove them, in other words, what steps would he go through to get them out? And, yes, you are correct, I don't want to meddle and make things worse.

Thank you for your reply, in advance.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Do not worry! The doctor will use a tiny atraumatic forceps to remove the qtips. It is a very simple procedure, which will be done under direct vision and ample lighting.

Good luck

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon