Have pustular erythematous rashes all face. Greasy and crusting. What is wrong with me?

i have pustular erythematous rashes over my cheeks,nose,between the eyebrowsetc.they are greasy crusting in naturesince 4 yrs.kindly help
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

This sounds like seborrheic dermatitis.

Please attach a pic of the rash using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page. It will give me a better insight into your problem.

Basically Seborrheic dermatitis is an XXXXXXX skin allergy compounded by a fungal infection (by P.Ovale). It usually affects the eyebrows, nose, lip corners, back of the ear and scalp.

It tends to run a long course with varying periods of remission and relapses.

The treatment depends on the severity of the problem and gives only temporary relief. The usual treatment given is a combination of antifungals and mild topical steroids. This gives good relief.

I shall be sure of your problem if I see a pic of the rash, then we may take this discussion further..

Awaiting your response

Follow-up: Have pustular erythematous rashes all face. Greasy and crusting. What is wrong with me? 2 days later
my skin biopsy report states thick parakeratotic scale crust contains,moundsof neutrophils,yeast and plasma globules.acanthosis,spongiosis with exocytosis of neutrophils,lymphocytes and spongiform pustule formation noted.foci of subtle intercellular separation of keratinocytes may be acantholytic.basal layer is intact.moderately dense mixed infiltrate of lympho-histiocytes,plasma cells,neutrophils is present in perivascular and interstitial location.PAS stain is negative for fungal hyphae.negative DIF study.although corps ronds and grains not seen but Darier's is a possibility .diagnosis-seborrhoeic dermatitis.
i have been advised scalpe lotion to be applied on face and scalp and wait for 30 mins and then rinse for 7 days along with aquasol A capsules and minocycline caps each 1 bd for 7 days and becosules 1 od.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 16 hours later
thanks for reverting back.

This indeed is seborrheic dermatitis.

The treatment given is OK. I would have added itraconazole too. But your physician's decision should be final.

Try out the treatment, The resolution takes time 3-4 weeks and then medication is gradually reduced.

Please keep me posted about the progress. Thanks