Ask a Dentist   »  

Have puss filled swelling below the tongue. Is it caused due to yeast infection?

ENT Specialist
I have had swelling followed by some white pus eruptions on the sublingual area of my tongue (below the tongue) for the past 7 days. It didn't hurt much at the beginning, but now it hurts every time I eat.
Nothing else hurts or seem to be affected (no throat pain, no infections on other oral areas).

I have been drinking kombucha (a fermented tea drink) and read online that yeast can cause infection. However, I drank kombucha many other times in the past and it never has happened before.

On the other hand, I have been using every day for the past 2 weeks an all natural mouth wash with salt among other ingredients and I read that salt should help to disinfect, but it hasn't seem to make any changes.

I wish I could attach a picture so you can exactly see the affected area. It goes from below the tip of the tongue until half-end below the tongue. The pus is on the sides, not the central line of the tongue.

I don't smoke nor eat unhealthy. I brush my teeth twice a day. I don't eat a lot of acidic food either.

Thanks for your help
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query and the image.

The image posted by you shows inflamed minor salivary glands on the under surface of the tongue. This happens when the opening of the minor salivary glands get blocked, restricting the outflow of the saliva. When the production of the saliva continues without a vent for discharge, the duct gets swollen initially and balloons out. Once the pressure increases, pain or discomfort is noticed in the affected region. If the assault continues then infection can supersede the process and appears as in the image.

The causes of inflammation are many, to name a few:
1. Dry mouth
2. Dehydration
3. Smoking
4. Irritative foods and drinks
5. Tobacco chewing, etc.

My advice to you is:
1. To drink plenty of warm water
2. A course of oral antibiotics (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime or clindamycin) will be beneficial in treating the same.
4. To take anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac if you notice pain
5. Avoid dehydration, coffee, alcohol for few days

Do not worry, with this above medication you will be definitely alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have puss filled swelling below the tongue. Is it caused due to yeast infection? 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately I don't have an insurance here in the U.S. and I'm not allowed to get that medicine without a prescription. Is there anything else I can do besides this?

Should I continue using the salty mouthwash?

The pain has raised these last 2 days and the infection seems to be persistent.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back

I would not advice you to do saline gargles, as it can cause dryness of the oral mucosa and further worsen your symptoms. Instead, try using povidone iodine mouth gargles, pain relievers such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac (all of the are available OTC). Rest, you can follow as per my advice in the previous response.

With appropriate antibiotics the inflammation and the infection will subside quickly. Since you are unable to get a prescription you can try all the above suggestions and the inflammation will take its time to get relieved.

I wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon